It would be hard for me to label these as the “best” albums of 2010 (see list from 2009) because what I constitute best might not even come close to your definition of best. With that said, here are the albums from 2010 that I found myself listening to multiple times, sometimes over and over again. Obviously I stick generally to what some would call indie, others alternative, others rock.
(Click on the link to hear the bands most popular song from this album)
- Arcade Fire: The Suburbs (I have never heard a rock album put together so well from start to finish, its a masterpiece)
- The National: High Violet (This guy has the most monotone voice, which makes him sound somewhat like Johnny Cash (somewhat). It makes for a unique listening experience)
- Yeasayer: Odd Blood (Creative, 80’s sounding work out album)
- Sufjan Stevens:The Age of Adz (Okay, I almost took this one off, and maybe I will regret putting it on. There are a couple songs that are really good and a couple that are really bad, but I just kept listening to it)
- Sleigh Bells: Treats (I found Robin Hilton’s description of this album the best so here it is: I wouldn’t fault anyone for finding this album obnoxious. It’s terribly loud, incredibly brash and full of screaming, and the whole mix is heavily processed and blown-out. The rhythms are explosive blasts more than drum beats, and the synths are piercing and caustic. But every time a song from Treats comes up on my iPod, I just feel so alive! It’s a take-no-prisoners album. Every track makes me feel as if I could rip my house off its foundation. I can’t say Treats is an instant classic or one critics will be talking about a generation from now, but it’s one of the year’s most potent and unforgettable recordings.
- The Black Keys: Brothers (Just buy this bluesy album, you won’t hear anything like it)
- Delta Spirit: History From Below (The soulful impassioned voice of the lead singer carries this album.)
- Jonsi: Go (You have to listen for yourself. Can you describe music like this?)
What did I miss from 2010?