Vampire Weekend’s album was without a doubt the best album of the year. It easily hit my number one spot, while I struggled with where to put the rest of them.
Daft Punk and Arcade Fire both took multiple listens until they really stuck with me. On my first time through, I did not think they were up to par with their previous material. John Mayer was a big surprise for me, as I have never really liked his earlier contributions. I think the folk style works well for him. One never knows how the electronic bands will do. They are hit and miss. Youth Lagoon has put out another complete album.
Andrew Belle is a new to me this year. I had never heard of him before, but instantly fell in love with his album. Kayne West’s album was insanely frustrating with his fascination with himself, but I could not get past the skill of the stripped down lyrics and beats. Find the edited version because of the abundance of language. The Lone Bellow is melancholy album of the year. Over the Rhine features great vocals paired with poetic writing. Chvrches is the 80’s sound of the year, while Jason Isbell is the American song writer of the year. Phantogram’s album only has four songs, but they are all good. Although I thought the last album from The National was much better, you can’t find their style anywhere else.
As I look back on my previous lists I am reminded that over time my mind changes. I would not put certain albums on the list anymore, and I am sure as time passes that will be the case with this list.
Let me know what albums I missed this year.
- Vampire Weekend | Vampires of the City
- Daft Punk | Random Access Memories
- Arcade Fire | Reflektor
- John Mayer | Paradise Valley
- Youth Lagoon | Wondrous Bughouse
- Andrew Belle | Black Bear
- Kanye West | Yeezus
- The Lone Bellow | self-titled
- Over the Rhine | Meet Me At the Edge of the World
- Chvrches | The Bones of What You Believe
- Jason Isbell | Southeastern
- Phantogram | self-titled
- The National | Trouble Will Find Me
- Kurt Vile | Walkin on a Pretty Daze
- Local Natives | Hummingbird
- Phosphorescent | Muchacho
- Lightning Dust | Fantasy
- Houndmouth | From the Hills Below the City