Part of the reason making a list like this is so fun is because I go back and listen to all the music I have enjoyed this year. It is also interesting to go back and see what my previous lists were (2010, 2009). Some of the albums have lasted the test of time, and I still turn to them for good music, others have fallen to the point where I never listen to them.
So without further ado, here are my favorite albums from 2011.
- Bon Iver: Bon Iver | I never thought he could top his first album, but he did. Its like the Pixar story, it just keeps getting better, he can’t slow down. Beautiful melancholic music, with a twist of 80’s in Best/Rest that had me hooked from the moment I heard it.
- Fleet Foxes: Helplessness Blues | This alt-folk band has great melodies and are more poetic and thoughtful than many acknowledge. Just check out these lyrics.
- Foster the People: Torches | Although I am listening to this album less and less, it was an instant hit, great for working out.
- Cults: Cults | To have a debut album where I don’t skip any tracks is an accomplishment.
- Telekinesis: 12 Desperate Straight Lines | Sounds a bit like 90’s rock, but I really like it.
- Wilco: The Whole Love | Classic Wilco, with some great songs, and then songs I have no idea what do with.
- Jay Z: Watch the Throne | You must listen to this album in the edited version, and that still does not catch everything. However, as far as rap goes, this could be Jay Z’s best.
- Alison Krauss & Union Station: Paper Airplane | Her voice is so effortlessly beautiful that it cannot sound bad, and Union Station compliments her perfectly.
- Lupe Fiasco: Lasers | This guy is as good as Kanye, or better, he just does not get the press because he doesn’t say dumb things on TV.
- The Black Keys: El Camino | I am not sure this is even allowed, because this album is not out for 5 more days. However I am pretty sure this one is going to be great. And it compliments my list so well. I now have some blues, folk, rap, and pop.
- Feist: Metals
- The Antlers: Burst Apart
- M83: Hurry Up We’re Dreaming
- Sarah Jarosz: Follow Me Down
- PJ Harvey: Let England Shake