Good post from the Art of Manliness on building your vocabulary. They say that the benefits of building your vocabulary are:
- Gives you the ability to say what you mean.
- Helps you understand other people.
- Helps you understand what you read.
- Assists you in becoming a more informed and involved citizen
- Bolsters your ability to grasp ideas and think more logically and incisively.
- Allows you to communicate effectively.
- Boosts your powers of persuasion.
- Helps you make a good impression on others.
The steps they suggest taking are:
- Write down words you read and hear that you don’t know
- Look up the word in a dictionary and write down its meaning in a vocabulary notebook
- Use the new word several times in conversation as soon as you can